Monday, May 31, 2010

The Cool Group

Typical seats on the train.

The Coaster train has a hierarchy, which, in my observation, is in direct inverse correlation to how cool you were in high school. The "popular" crowd tends to be on the nerdy side, not very trendy, and pretty boring when it comes to conversation topics. (I know because you can generally hear every conversation in your vicinity when on the train.)


The regulars have their usual seats on the train, and all share a similar characteristic that leads to my comparison to high school cliques: a complete disregard for others around them. They are loud and assuming, and show a disdain for non-regular riders who invade their space. This is especially true for those new or infrequent riders who show complete ignorance when it comes to seating. These regulars have their favorite spots, and become quite upset when those seats are taken, usually loudly proclaiming to their group, "Seems like our spot is taken" or "We'll have to find a different place to sit today." Or, worse (for the unsuspecting rider), they will just sit next to him/her, surrounding the person on all sides with their loud, boring chatter.

I lucked out because my Mom had been riding the Coaster for almost a year before I started riding, and I generally knew that the regulars had their favorite car and favorite seats. My first week I sat quietly and observed, figuring out all of the anthropological undertones. As a regular myself now, I don't belong to any "group." Most riders, in fact, don't. I sit by my Mom or Dad when they ride the train, or a coworker who also sometimes rides. But, generally, I sit by myself and read or sleep.

I had a chance to join a group in the beginning, and even sat with them a couple of times, but decided that I valued my time more than talking to these strangers who I generally didn't have much in common with. (To leave the group unobtrusively, I actually had to start riding in a different car.)


For any of you who may think it sad that I don't have any "train friends," see above for my description of them. I think the nerdy group in high school finally found their place to be cool. I, for one, am happy to avoid them, and let them revel in their popular status.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to read your blog. Fun story. I agree about the train. I don't take it regularly, but the commuter rail stop is a short walk from my house so it's convenient to take the train when going to Boston, a 35-minute ride. In most cases, I'm disappointed if someone starts talking to me because I'd rather read or do a crossword or sudoku puzzle. As far a popularity in high school predicting future success or popularity, it doesn't. In the book, "Whatever happened to the class of '65, the most popular kids turned out to be losers, some with tragic endings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you cool or not cool. But really, who decides. Is "cool-ness" in the eye of the beholder, or maybe it's relative. What is "cool?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! It will be posted after review.